Thursday, September 4, 2008

Desperation seems to bring out the worst in people

A few days ago I posted a response to one of the few polite communications I have received from a a strong supporter of the Obama-Biden ticket. I took the time to write the post because of the courtesy and intelligence displayed in that original communication. Apparently, the fact that I was ultimately unpersuaded to the writer's point of view, today he was motivated to send this not-so-courteous message. (I have kept the writer's identity private, because as you will see, he prefers that. Also, for the record, my surname is Feldman, not Li - Li is my middle name, listed as such on my birth certificate.) I am posting the latest round of correspondence with the writer because it exemplifies measures that taking place all over the country as desperate people realize that the DNC and Senator Obama were wrong about many people's willingness to look the other way now after being silenced and disrespected throughout the primary season.

Believe me, I understand how frustrating it is that it looks ever more unlikely that the Democratic nominee can win the presidency this November. I have spent months and months working to ensure a different result: up until the convention, I used every means available to me to persuade the DNC and the general public that a more likely person to win the White House was available to be nominated and elected by a genuine and fair roll call; I implored the DNC leadership to quit the shenanigans they were engaging in and stand strong for Democratic and democratic values.

I continue to advocate for downticket Democrats and to encourage people frustrated and angered by Senator Obama, Dr. Dean, Speaker Pelosi, et al. to respond by supporting Senator Clinton as the Party's next Democratic majority leader in the Senate. Many people are angered by my refusal to desert the Democratic Party. But I've taken a position and I am sticking to it:

One can disapprove of a Party's choice of Presidential nominee and still be a supporter of that Party, because Party power does not reside solely in the executive branch.

If you care to join me in that point of view, even a small donation to The Denver Group would help get that message out.


As for the less-than-courteous message and some ensuing back and forth, read on.
------------------------

From:
Date: Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 11:09 AM


Dear Ms. Li-
I wrote to you several days (weeks?) ago and you chose not to respond. Which
is fine.

However, I note now that your outrage over the roll call vote at the DNC is
phony. The results have been published for days, but you haven't even
bothered to post them at your site, despite days of claiming the results
were being surpressed. And I find it interesting that these results are
being surpressed on YOUR blog because they do not fit your narrative that
there was a mass of Hillary delegates who wouldn't bend. The vote results
show that isn't true.

I can thereby only conclude you have no interest in anything but your narrow
agenda and your fantasies about Hillary Clinton, which Hillary herself
clearly does not support.

So please be on record: I am not a political person. Other than vote, I've
never been involved. But you have motivated me. Hillary is my senator.
Schumer is my senator. John Hall is my representative. You can be sure that
I am now going to steep myself in the sytem and I'll have one goal: To
expose you as the phony you are.

You don't care about your country. You don't care about about the Democratic
Party, either. After this election, I will make it my business going forward
to fight anything your phony group proposes.

You're not a Democrat. You're a phony and it's clear that you're in it for
personal publicity. I dont't like phonies in the system and now I'll devote
time to making people know that you're one of them.

XXXXXXXXX
now an active Democrat

----------
From: Heidi Li Feldman
Date: Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 11:25 AM

To:


Mr. XXXX,
I wrote an entire post on blog dedicated to answering you.
I did not use your name but if you would like me to so, I am happy to identify as the author of what I called a "courteous" and "intelligent" message.

Please let me know if you would care to be identified.

Yours truly
Heidi Li Feldman

----------
From:
Date: Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 11:30 AM
To: Heidi Li Feldman


No, I'm not interested in credit. I wrote to you PRIVATELY. What I am interested in is a) you looking out for the greater interest of your country and b) telling the truth. The results of the DNC vote aren't hidden. They are posted, and have been for days. But, as I say, I got the message now. You're in this for YOU and your fantasies. Got it. Sorry I misunderstood earlier

4 Comments:

Blogger WaitingToBuy said...

I haven't decided whether to support downticket Dems. Certainly I will look at their record, and if I agree on the issues they will get my vote if they did not support Obama. For example, I will not support Wexler or DWShultz here in florida. I admire courage and integrity and very few Dems have shown those qualities in the last 8 months.

September 4, 2008 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger Patricia said...

I am so sorry that you received this type of communication. What amazes me is that the writer fails to recognize that the sham voting at the convention was witnessed by those watching on TV and that there is probably a video of it. Having secret ballots and then posting the results has nothing to do with democracy. Too bad also that the writer wants to stay hidden but just wants to do stealth attacks. Desperation does bring out the worst in people.

September 4, 2008 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger grand tier said...

What anger and bitterness... Interestingly, those are words Obama supporters use to describe anyone who refuses to vote for him. The bile this particular individual is throwing will not win him or Obama-Biden any new voters.

September 5, 2008 at 11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Desperation is indeed the word.

About voting for down ticket Democrats, there's long been an argument (I first heard it from my eighth grade teacher) that it's better to have the house and senate run by one party while the president is from the other party. It lessens excesses.

September 15, 2008 at 12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home