Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Retiring Senator Clinton's debt and what the DNC is up to

Many questions have arrived about what sort of "deadlines" the DNC is putting on Senator Clinton to retire her debt...or else? Before I make any comments about when to donate to what, let's first review the "or else". The reason the DNC is pressuring Senator Clinton on this matter at all is because DNC leaders actually believe that once Senator Clinton stops fundraising, everybody who has given to her will magically switch over and donate directly to the DNC. Unless the DNC issues an announcement but quick that they are going to hold a genuinely democratic convention (Senator Clinton's name in nomination, roll call vote, no pressuring the superdelegates from on high, no insisting that Senator Clinton agree to refuse the nomination if she should be elected the nominee), I strongly doubt that too many of Senator Clinton's supporters will fulfill this DNC fantasy. But the DNC needs to hang on to that fantasy - the one where they drive the winner of the popular vote in the primaries out of the convention and treat Clinton supporters like dirt, but still everybody just ups and gives them money regardless - because guess who has a tremendous debt problem: why, the DNC itself. The DNC is millions and millions of dollars in the hole, and is busily canceling all sorts of events in Denver and replacing them with fundraisers for itself (thereby causing severe economic hardship to the small business owners of Denver who were counting on income from the long scheduled but now canceled events, as well as to the beneficiaries of the canceled events such as down ticket Democrats).

I have no solid information about which particular "deadline" the DNC is now trying to foist on Senator Clinton in exchange for something that her campaign should never have had to negotiate in the first place. My best information remains that which I received from the Clinton campaign a while back, when they informed major fundraisers that they were making a big push to raise as much as possible to retire the primary debt by July 15.

If your main objective is to aid Senator Clinton the sooner you donate to retire her debt the better. But of course all this talk of deadlines is also a way of preventing people on budgets from making to other organizations, such as The Denver Group among others, who are working hard to try to save the Democratic Party from itself. Feel like you are in a double bind? That's because you are, thanks to the ever delightful Dr. Dean who has failed miserably in his job as national party chair.

So now we all know how Senator Clinton probably felt so often when she dealt with the Democratic National Party this season: coerced, manipulated, and treated with contempt.

Under present circumstances everybody has to decide for herself or himself what s/he can and wants to give to whom when. I cannot and would not presume to tell autonomous adults what they should do. Analyze your finances. Maybe you can give something toward retiring Senator Clinton's debt and toward one one other cause related to keeping the Democratic Party democratic. Certainly, do not put yourself in financial jeopardy whatever you do.

Troubled times, troubled waters.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Ms Bluegrass said...

Thanks Heidi for this info...I have a plan and I just need a little help on a fund raising idea. When you have a minute give me a call or e-mail me. I know you are very busy..Thanks and (((HUGS))) from Ms Bluegrass

July 9, 2008 at 11:28 PM  
Anonymous diana said...

Heidi,
Thank you for sharing with us your insights. Please keep us in the loop, with whatever resources and energy you can spare. I don't know how you do it, but I for one sincerely appreciate it. Thanks, again.
diana

July 9, 2008 at 11:32 PM  
Anonymous Deborah1 said...

thanks for the updates, heidi.

i just sent another $25 to retire the debt. i will never contribute to BO or the DNC.

July 10, 2008 at 1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1950/turndown again

One idea going around is to use some FISA-related numbers as a special 'thank you': $22.48, $63.04, etc.

July 10, 2008 at 1:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I maxed out for the primary, I contributed yesterday when I received an e-mail from Senator Clinton specifically requesting funds to retire the debt. I hope it qualifies but suspect it will not.

I donated to the Denver Group during the initial start-up and have supported others trying to get our country on-track.

OT. I'm glad this morning's news did not include the fact that Senator Clinton agreed to be the VP nominee. I've had anxious hours about that since Caroline Kennedy made it a threesome with Senator Clinton and the presumptive one. I do not want Senator Clinton to add luster to the DNC's unlawful candidate. Sooner or later it will be seen that BO needs Senator Clinton and her supporters. May it be later if that's the only reason to include her.

I am so appreciative of those who are working to right so many wrongs.

July 10, 2008 at 8:20 AM  
Blogger wbever said...

I, too, will donate once again to help HRC retire her debt. Then, another donation to The Denver Group. Nothing, nada, zero to the DNC or Obama.

July 10, 2008 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger dobarah said...

This year has been the first year I have taken so much interest in an election. I used to believe I was informed, but as I look back, I see how naive I was. I have moved past this time in my life...I have campaigned for Hillary, wore campaign memorabilia, called/wrote emails to the DNC, and made donations to help Senator Clinton. I will donate to the Denver Group, but I'm trying to ease my family into the 'new' me.

Thank you for providing the information I needed to spur me on to this action.

July 10, 2008 at 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home