Sunday, July 13, 2008

The privilege of meeting Sammy Davis, Jr.

I had the great privilege of meeting Sammy Davis, Jr. when I was in college, and becoming very slightly acquainted with him. Meeting Sammy Davis Jr. was a privilege, not just a kick, because Sammy was not only a superb entertainer, he was a man of principle and political involvement over the long haul. Below are some quotations of Sammy's that seem especially apropos today [source].

  • Real success is not on the stage, but off the stage as a human being, and how you get along with your fellow man.
  • I go to temple a lot less than I would like because when I do, people still look at me as if they think it's a publicity stunt.
  • I wasn't anything special as a father. But I loved them and they knew it.
  • May was young and beautiful, we were legally married, but she was caught in the prison of my skin.
  • Would it be better if I'd married a Negro woman? Would they treat my child any better? Erect fewer barriers?
  • We can't answer King's assassination with violence. That would be the worst tribute we could pay him.
  • You always have two choices: your commitment versus your fear.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post amazed me because I just lately realized HOW great Sammy Davis Jr. was. If you listen to his records, I think he's the best of that era. His recording of "What kind of fool am I " would knock anyone flat. He had power for such a little guy. Love his quotes too! Thanks Heidi!

July 13, 2008 at 12:03 PM  
Blogger Grey said...

You were right about this post, and of course you were.

Thank you for this, and for standing on principles always, and wherever.

July 13, 2008 at 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few minutes ago I read a Huffington Post piece which talked about the ad that you ran in the Chicago Tribune. Towards the end of the article, the writer commented that the Denver Group was not to be confused with another organization which was an "anarchist" group by a similar name who planned to disrupt the convention in Denver. The report ended by talking more about the other group.
When I went back to reference the details in that article, it was gone. It is interesting and scary to see the spin which begins to associate your legal effort with pejorative comments about a different group.

July 13, 2008 at 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home