Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Getting their act together and taking it on the road: to Denver

I just received an announcement via the Texas Coordinator for Gulf Coast for Hillary that two major groups working to send people to Denver in August - 18 Million Voices Rise Hillary Rise and PUMApac- are joining forces.

My own hope is that when all the people working with these two groups get to Denver, that nice big football stadium we have all been hearing about be filled with them.

Whether they will be hearing from Senator Obama or Senator Clinton accepting the Party's nomination remains to be seen. You see, just because you've rented a football stadium does not mean you are the nominee. You may be considered the presumptive nominee. You may have a very strong chance of becoming the nominee. But at this point in time the Democratic Party, like the Republican Party, does not have am official nominee. And neither Senator Obama nor Senator McCain can become their respective party's nominee by renting a space where they hope to deliver an acceptance speech. I am a sports fan. My preferred baseball team is the Mets. While I don't have enough money to rent a baseball stadium for the Mets in October, even if I did that would not make them the winner of the World Series.

Check out the goals of PUMA, an organization created and nurtured by many people including some of the founders of Just Say No Deal (the founders of JSND are Diane Mantouvalos, Petunia Politik, Will Bower, Cristi Adkins, Peter Boykin, and Thuc Ngyuen.)

Oh, and I do hope that the DNC has made arrangements with Senator Obama ensuring that the stadium he has rented will be available to whoever the duly elected nominee of the party is. And perhaps this is the moment for Mets fans to band together to rent a stadium for this year's World Series?

Interested in helping to ensure a democratic Democratic convention? Consider a donation to The Denver Group.


6 Comments:

Blogger ZOE said...

"just because you've rented a football stadium does not mean you are the nominee"

Exactly!

And joining forces is our best hope. I'm inspired by what you're doing with the Denver Group -- (just posted about it on my blog). I never thought that having a real convention would have to be negotiated.

Thanks for your informative site.

July 8, 2008 at 12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

....I am a sports fan. My preferred baseball team is the Mets. While I don't have enough money to rent a baseball stadium for the Mets in October, even if I did that would not make them the winner of the World Series

Wow Heidi, as an example, that was out of the park! But can anyone tell me why Obama's DNC is disappearing every political norm and replacing them with things seeminly pulled from the air?
It's very frighting.The Dem party is in free fall and those who are pointing this out are told they aren't Democrats.

July 8, 2008 at 2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't it in 1969 that the Mets were the underdog, but they walked away with the World Series? I was just thinking about that when you mentioned being a fan.

July 8, 2008 at 7:49 PM  
Blogger wodiej said...

Heidi, excellent analogy!! Thank you for all you and everyone else is doing w the Denver Group and PUMA.

My take on what is happening is Dean, Pelosi, Brazile, Obama etc. want the party to be very far left and they just figure the rest of us will go along w it. I do believe they have greatly underestimated us. I think largely because many Democrats do tend to go with the flow. I don't think they have any idea what they have unleashed. But they are going to find out soon enough.

July 9, 2008 at 5:39 AM  
Blogger petunia politik said...

Heidi,

Always use the NY Yankees as a reference:) Correction: Just Say No Deal was founded by Diane, myself, Will, Cristi Adkins, Peter Boykin, and Thuc Ngyuen. PUMA was founded by MANY people, most notably The Confluence, and I started the first Facebook PUMA page where it sprouted. As a former journalist, I just like the facts, ma'am. *smile*
I am a full supporter of the Denver Group, and am thrilled that 18 mill voices joined with puma pac. Whatever the outcome of the nomination's hijacking, it will be a November to Remember.
Thanks, Heidi....keep being you.

July 9, 2008 at 7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am touched and in awe of the fight left in my sisters and brothers supporting Clinton. BO speaks the words of change JSND and PUMA (and friends) really are the change... and I think they are morphing into a legitimate 3rd party whose members really care about substance and not fluff, country not party. My democratic heart is beating once again. Thanks Heidi for the resuscitation.

July 9, 2008 at 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home