Monday, July 28, 2008

The DNC stoops to new lows in latest propaganda

Today, many Democrats received the following email.
From: Tom McMahon
To: _________
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 14:07:06 -0400
Subject: Special invitation from Barack Obama

The Democratic Party
Dear ____:

One month from today, more than 75,000 Americans will join Barack Obama at the first truly open Democratic National Convention in a generation.

If you make a donation in any amount before midnight this Thursday, July 31st, you could join Barack backstage before he accepts the Democratic nomination.

Watch this short video invitation from Barack and make a donation of $5 or more today:

Watch Barack's video message

[link to donation page omitted]

This year, the convention will be built around the participation of ordinary Americans. Democrats like you are opening up the political process like never before, and it is a bold and exciting time for our party.

Free tickets to the convention will be available soon. But if you make a donation in any amount by Thursday, July 31st, you and a guest could be flown to Denver, spend a couple of nights in a hotel, participate in the convention, and then go Backstage with Barack before the big event.

Watch Barack's invitation and make a donation of $5 or more today to be part of this extraordinary opportunity

[link to donation page omitted]

Your donation will not only support our party, but will build our 50-state strategy to secure victories up and down the ballot in November.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom McMahon
Executive Director
Democratic National Committee

Donate

If you do not wish to make a donation, you can still be selected to join Barack at the Democratic National Convention in Denver. Learn more here.

Paid for and authorized by the Democratic National Committee, www.democrats.org.
This communication is not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

Democratic National Committee, 430 S. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC 20003
Contributions or gifts to the Democratic National Committee are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.

Click here to unsubscribe from this mailing list.

This communication is almost too pathetic to be worthy of addressing. Yet it requires comment because it shows

  • an egregious misunderstanding of what a "truly open convention" would be
  • just how desperate the DNC and Senator Obama are to raise some money
  • the ongoing conflation of the DNC and Senator Obama
  • the continuing refusal of the DNC to accept the reality that they have a badly fractured party and unwillingness to take the substantive steps to address that problem and head off disaster

Having a pep rally and holding a contest to hang out backstage has nothing to do with the idea of an open political convention. Historically, an open convention means a convention where the outcome is not settled in advance and where the people who have earned the right to be decisionmakers at the convention get to exercise that right. The only way this year's DNC convention could seriously qualify as convention that will be built around the participation of ordinary Americans would be if it acknowledged the participation of millions of Americans in the primaries and caucuses - including every single voter who went to the polls in Michigan and Florida.

Such acknowledgment would start with the DNC making every effort to make Senator Clinton feel comfortable having her name placed in nomination at the convention, so that the delegates to the convention - not 75,000 spectators in a stadium - could exercise their right and fulfill their responsibility to elect the nominee who seems best equipped to defeat Senator McCain this fall. The reason the onus lies with the DNC, and not Senator Clinton, is because the DNC spent sixteenth months trying to oust Senator Clinton from the primary and caucus process and make it seem as though any effort on her part to make herself available to be the nominee was some sort of traitorous act.

Senator Clinton would have every right and some good reasons to refuse having her name placed in nomination. But this is an entirely separate question from whether the DNC should be actively announcing loudly and clearly that should she deem it advisable for herself, her party, and her country to accept being placed in nomination, the DNC would more than happy. The DNC should in fact be more than happy were this to come to pass because only by having Senator Clinton's name in nomination can the party have what it continues to pretend it is going to have: a meaningfully open convention, open as in open-ended in result out of respect for the Party's own rules and the more than 18 million voters who made Senator Clinton the popular vote winner during the primary season.

Note: I refused to reproduce in the copy of the DNC communication the links to Senator Obama's campaign donation pages because I find it hard to credit the claim that the DNC circulated this email without the authorization of Senator Obama's claim. Tip for Senator Obama: if in fact your campaign did not not authorize the DNC to send this email blast, time for you to join the rest of us in clearly and loudly expressing your objections to the DNC's ongoing and presumably intentional efforts to dupe rank and file Democrats, including those you apparently expect to help fill the football stadium you rented before you even knew you would actually be the Party's nominee.

For the people who Just Say No Deal, tickets to a pep rally will not be satisfactory.





22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is democracy now? It seems the once Democratic Party has learned how to undermine the “people’s” principle of democracy and have chosen to manipulate instead of representing citizens. Is the DNC going corporate?
It’s time for a viable third and even forth party to help restore balance to our great nation and the democratic principles that have been the guiding truth.


Thank you for everything you do HLF!

July 28, 2008 at 8:25 PM  
Blogger democraticjack said...

That letter seems to be the direct answer that Dr. Dean has been avoiding. The DNC has already decided Obama is the nominee before the gavel calls the convention to order. It really is outrageous and the fact that they have their hands in each other's pockets virtually eliminates the democracy from the Democratic party. Open convention my royal red heinie!

July 28, 2008 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger 1522Lafayette said...

Well, I think I'll pull out my credit card and use ActBlue to make another contribution to The Denver Group now.

July 28, 2008 at 9:22 PM  
Anonymous Texas Hill Country said...

Yeah, this whole thing has been pretty repulsive. It is getting to the point where I am feeling like I have been sucked into a Dali painting...

July 28, 2008 at 9:29 PM  
Blogger 1522Lafayette said...

I made my contribution as promised using your fundraising page. I had to look for it at ActBlue because I couldn't find the link on your blog as in the past. I hope there is a push these next few days to retire HRC's debt. The end of the month is fast approaching, and this will be the last report before the convention. I wish I could contribute, but I'm over the max and reallocated my contributions to her Senate campaign.

July 28, 2008 at 10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I believe that his whole campaign has become a circus and that PT Barnum is in charge of the DNC.

They really must think that a sucker is born every second...

July 28, 2008 at 11:30 PM  
Blogger Shtuey said...

Heidi, I think I need a Di-gel. If I didn't know any better I'd think that Ken Kesey was still alive, and he dosed Howard Dean and the rest of the Space Pirates at the DNC. Just when you thought this couldn't get any weirder...

July 28, 2008 at 11:42 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

I received a letter from Representative Patrick Kennedy dated yesterday asking me to contribute to the DCCC and advising me that for each contribution I will have a chance to win tickets to the convention. This is what he said in the letter:

Remember, every time you contribute you'll get another chance to win tickets to the Democratic Convention and every dollar you give helps us to put another race into play to win big in November.

I guess that a convention ticket is now the carrot being dangled by the Democratic Party.

July 29, 2008 at 12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I nearly fainted when I read

....One month from today, more than 75,000 Americans will join Barack Obama at the first truly open Democratic National Convention in a generation.....

OPEN!! How dare they say that ?? It's a direct insult to any thinking person .These people are crazy!!It's like reading the Onion! Also the tone is suitable only if one was addressing small children....Help, I'm in the looking glass!!

July 29, 2008 at 1:21 AM  
Anonymous minty said...

This type of tactic insults the intelligence of the democratic rank and file membership.

My response is that I would not even consider entering a prize drawing for a convention ticket unless they throw in a secret decoder ring

July 29, 2008 at 8:22 AM  
Anonymous adamonis said...

We have truly entered the world of George Orwell.

July 29, 2008 at 8:59 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

Hold the presses! Even more ways to win! I also just read my email from Rep. Rahm Emanuel, Democratic Caucus Chair.

He states:

Support the DCCC's National Day of Action Fund with a gift of $15, $25, or more before Midnight Tonight and be automatically entered to win tickets to the Democratic National Convention.

These emails have become as annoying as the junk mail sweepstake offers I receive.

July 29, 2008 at 9:23 AM  
Anonymous Mirlo said...

This is all truly unbelievable! I wonder how many will fall for this?

July 29, 2008 at 3:31 PM  
Blogger Double Jointed Fingers said...

This enrages me and saddens me at the same time. I've been the "good" Democrat for so long that I feel like I've been violated.

I'm off to donate again to the Denver Group. It is the only voice that I have left.

At a time when the Republican could so easily be beaten in the GE, the DNC is forcing the weaker candidate upon us.

This is maddening.

July 29, 2008 at 4:56 PM  
Blogger Aeneas said...

Aaaawww... I didn't get any email. And I was so stoked to go and see Barack.

And I so wanted to give $ to Barack. Oh, well. I guess I'll give it the Denver Group again.

July 29, 2008 at 6:11 PM  
Blogger Aeneas said...

I donated to the Denver Group the $ I would never send to Barack.

That felt good.

July 29, 2008 at 6:17 PM  
Anonymous kavala007 said...

Thank you for constantly bringing sanity to what has become an insane election process.

I have to say I agree with the first comment made by anonymous. From the statements made by Senator Obama and his supporters, Donna Brazil, Howard Dean, Nancy Pelosi, Alice Germond, Don Fowler and the list goes on, I would say that the Democratic Party has been hijacked and no longer exists. What has happened is that this group operating from within the party has used the framework of what was the Democratic Party for its own party and ideology. If I am not mistaken, Donna Brazile said that she was going to do just that. It was a lot cheaper and easier to do that then start a 3rd party.

I admire the continuous efforts, especially by The Denver Group, to save the Democratic Party's current leadership from itself. I am afraid, however, that the only thing to do is to make sure they do not succeed and to defeat what is being called the Democratic leadership in this year's election. Then the Democratic Party can be rebuilt based on democracy and the Constitution.

July 29, 2008 at 7:20 PM  
Anonymous diana said...

We really have to get the word out via the Denver Group. Please, folks, get the word out in as many blogs as you can, and forward/link Heidi's website.

Interestingly, I also got an e-mail from Hillary Clinton for a "dinner" - maybe she know there are some of us who absolutely will not give the DCCC a dime and will direct funds elsewhere.

Heidi, please, keep a cool head. Don't let these buffoons push your buttons.

July 29, 2008 at 8:59 PM  
Anonymous Dianne said...

I received an email from Senator Clinton with an invitation for dinner and an evening of sharing thoughts. It stated her staff calls it her Retirement Dinner, in reality it's a retire her debt dinner.
I made my donation and I can only hope to win.
There many reasons to continue to help her pay down her debt, stated as small vendors, she is a gem of a woman and she makes me proud.
And God bless us all and give us a miracle before the Convention or during.

July 29, 2008 at 10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you Heidi! Thank you for your efforts on behalf of Hillary and her supporters.
It amazes me how many democrats do not realize Obama does not have enough automatic delegates to secure the nomination, and the super delegates, who ca not vote until the convention, will be deciding this election. The DNC, dem. party and MSM have done a great job keeping this information from people. Keep Up the good work! formerly hill 08, now hopeful

July 29, 2008 at 10:56 PM  
Anonymous dcattorney said...

I too got one of these emails - I guess because I was a maxxed out HRC donor - and the absurdity of the DNC calling it an "open convention" hit me - until I realized they probably meant open-AIR convention - for the football stadium.

I hope BO and the DNC have remembered to rent the Goodyear Blimp so it can fly over and give us aerial views of the proceedings.

I have left the party and the DNC will never see another dime of my hard earned money.

Thank you Heidi for your continued commentary.

August 3, 2008 at 11:53 PM  
Blogger Cathylee said...

Blast. I didn't get any of those Obama lottery invites..probably because I have unsubscribed myself from every wonderful-turned-repellent democratic address. To commenters above: you've said it all, especially kavala007. The most important thing we can do now is shout the truths we know about what poses for our beloved democratic party, and dearly hope enough of us can force change before it's too late. IT'S NOT TOO LATE YET.
fieryside.blogspot.com

August 5, 2008 at 8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home