Sunday, June 29, 2008

Stephanie Tubbs Jones


Congresswoman Tubbs Jones and Senator Clinton reintroduce their Count Every Vote Legislation.
Yesterday I was thinking about the rank and file Democrats who have come together because of Senator Clinton's candidacy. Today I found myself thinking about the more high profile Democrats who came together for Senator Clinton, some of whom did so at real risk to the their own political futures. Although more than one name came immediately to mind (I plan to write about others in future posts), one person has been at the forefront of my thoughts.
She is Representative Stephanie Tubbs Jones.

Rep. Tubbs Jones stands out to me not just because I had the honor and privilege of observing her at events, large and small, related to Senator Clinton's candidacy. Yes, she gave her all in support of the candidate she preferred. Yes, her eloquence and enthusiasm impressed me. Yes, her loyalty to Senator Clinton showed a level of personal commitment and principle not readily found in politicians.

But Rep. Tubbs Jones stands out on her own. She is an American politician to be admired and respected because of her long service in the cause of true progressivism. The latest examples include: Rep. Tubbs Jones' stand against the FISA bill and her stand against giving George W. Bush a blank check to run his occupation of Iraq. But there are less well known examples too.


Rep. Tubbs Jones consistently participates in the Home Court annual basketball game, a charitable event sponsored by Georgetown University law students to raise money for the homelessThe game pits members of Congress against members of of Georgetown University Law Center faculty and staff. I try to participate each year in this unique fundraiser, which has been going on for more than twenty years. I remember when I was new to the annual game, and I know that one of the first members of Congress who not only listed himself or herself in the program as a participant but who showed up and participated was Stephanie Tubbs Jones.

It is easy to put your name in a program. My colleagues and the members of Congress who show up and participate in Home Court's annual fundraiser have other things do with a weeknight evening. But part of being truly progressive is putting your heart and your effort into both big time and smaller time causes. And part of being somebody others can and do believe in - and there are many who believe fiercely in Representative Tubbs Jones, and who will make sure she is reelected to serve for as long as chooses to run - is putting in the real effort, showing up, doing the work - year after year, week after week.

Stephanie Tubbs Jones is that sort of American progressive. Long may she serve. I hope to see her in Denver. I know we'll both be showing up, working away. Maybe we'll even find a basketball court and practice for the next Home Court game.

4 Comments:

Anonymous tvlcrazy said...

Heidi I am so glad you did a post about STJ - a brilliant woman who has valiantly stood up for Clinton against much criticism and (I fear) harrassment over the months. Great courage and conviction!

Oh, and by the way.... I am VP (I can't believe you forgot me so soon!!!)

June 30, 2008 at 1:28 AM  
Anonymous minty said...

Remarkable, caring and talented women representing Cleveland.

June 30, 2008 at 8:25 PM  
Blogger sonya said...

Heidi, thank you for posting this. Stephanie Tubbs Jones is truly a woman to be admired.

July 1, 2008 at 12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Stephanie Tubbs Jones and I can't thank you enough for highlighting this great American woman

July 1, 2008 at 10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home