Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Pledges made, pledges kept


For me today has been a good one in the Department of People Keeping Their Word. Not only have many of those who pledged to The Denver Group followed up and sent in their donations (big thank you to those who have already donated and those planning on doing so), but I received an acknowledgment (upper right) of the match I ran recently for retiring Senator Clinton's campaign debt and Fisher House.


Also, I - along with many others, I am sure - received an email with the message below from the Clinton campaign. This message that redoubles my already unyielding commitment to retiring Senator Clinton's debt, and doing so in a way that preserves her independence in every way possible. If you can help, please donate.
I made a promise to you, and I intend to keep it.

I told you that if you stood up for me, I would always stand up for you. You did more for me than I could have ever imagined, and I'm going to keep my end of the bargain and keep fighting for what we believe in -- in the Senate and on the campaign trail, helping to elect a new Democratic president and a bigger Democratic majority in Congress.

That relationship will endure thanks to the remarkable journey you and I have shared. But there's something else -- less endearing and I hope less enduring -- that our campaign has left behind: our substantial campaign debt.

I'm so grateful for all you've done for me -- all the ways you have given your time, energy, and financial resources. But today I am asking once again for your help ridding our campaign of debt so we can keep fighting together.

***snip**

As you know, I had to loan money to my campaign at critical moments. I'm not asking for anyone's help to pay that back. That was my investment and my commitment because I believe so deeply in our cause.

But I do need your help paying the debts we accrued to others over the course of this campaign. We put everything we had into winning this race, and we came just about as close as you can.

I will never regret the energy, effort, and passion we put into one of the closest and most expensive primary contests in history. But I need your help to move on to the next phase of our journey together.

***snip***

You've done so much for me over the past 17 months, and I can never thank you enough. But I hope you know how much I appreciate everything you put into our campaign.

Sincerely,
Hillary
Hillary Rodham Clinton

P.S. Everywhere I go, people tell me what a big difference our campaign has made in their lives. Let's keep working together throughout 2008 and beyond to advance the causes we believe in and to advocate alongside people whose voices need to be heard.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am mailing a check for $100 rather than donating online. I'm one of those donors named anonymous.

It was great to see the acknowledgement from Fisher House. I see that HRC had gone to some of their events went I did a Google search.

June 25, 2008 at 7:28 PM  
Anonymous GaGirl said...

Thank you for following through on this, Heidi. I followed through on my pledge of $100 through the PayPal option.
GaGirl

June 25, 2008 at 7:50 PM  
Anonymous kavala007 said...

Good work Heidi,

I have honored my pledge to the Denver Group. It took me several tries but I hung in there. Donating to Hillary Clinton or Ed O'Reilly was a snap in comparison. Please do not ask me why it was so difficult because I have no idea.

June 25, 2008 at 9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi,
I donated today. Hillary's campaign debt is "ours" as well. "We" asked her to stay in & she did. We're like a family & we must take care of our own.It would be great if she
was,"FINANCIALLY INDEPENDENT by INDEPENDENCE DAY"!!
Keep up the great work!
Toni/NY

June 26, 2008 at 12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home