Friday, June 13, 2008

Of arrogance and transcendence, a post in 2 parts (part 2)

Of transcendence

What to do when confronted with unbearable arrogance? Different options work for different people at different times. Without disparaging other reactions, here is the one I recommend for those of us who are now confronted by the breathtaking, appalling, and totally unacceptable arrogance of Howard Dean, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and Senator Obama and his campaign.

Transcendence
definition: the state of excelling or surpassing or going beyond usual limits

Like the word arrogance, transcendence, from the word transcendent is a very old one in the English language, dating back to the 14th or 15th century. While arrogance is an attitude, however, transcendence is a state of being.

Transcendence is not a state of being that requires being forgiving or relinquishing anger or determination.

Transcendence is a state of being one reaches when one goes beyond one's usual limits.

With their arrogance, Dr. Dean, Speaker Pelosi, Senator Reid, and Senator Obama have indeed pushed me beyond my limits. But not in the way portrayed by the MSM or by Dean, Pelosi, and various others. I am not fanatical. I am not in a bitter rage.

I am transcendent.

This means that I will not engage in the pretense of politics as usual, where year after year, I vote for a Democrat who I know cannot win because I feel that liberalism requires it: I voted for Walter Mondale, Michael Dukakis, John Kerry, and Al Gore, with varying degrees of enthusiasm and varying degrees of confidence that they might actually win the Oval Office.

I could vote for these candidates because I did not feel that they had been thrust upon me by an illegitimate primary process controlled by people determined to prevent the candidate I though best qualified to be our next president from ever even having a just and fair shot at becoming the Democratic Party nominee. None of these previous Democratic presidential nominees engaged in or tolerated wretchedly sexist and misogynist conduct, none of them associated closely with known racists as their pastors for 20 years, none of them took for granted the votes of Hispanics and Latinos, women, working class Democrats, American Indians, gays and lesbians, and all those who look for a President committed to social equality and truly shared economic prosperity. They may not have been able to convince those groups that they could deliver these goals, but they worked to earn their votes.

This year the Democratic Party seems intent on assuming that I will simply vote for whoever they select - not genuinely elect - as a nominee, by whatever methods they decide to use to install that person as the Democratic nominee.

My response: transcendence.

I have been exceeding and will continue to exceed my own limits to resist this arrogance, to insist that the D.N.C. clean its house immediately. I will not vote for a Democratic nominee who accepts that nomination without there being a real convention in Denver, one where the first vote is a balloted vote, with the serious contenders for this still undecided nomination listed on the ballot. I will not vote for a Democratic candidate who does not himself immediately (as in now, not after Denver) demand that the D.N.C. rid itself of a leadership that has been exceeding hypocritical at best, dishonest at worst. I will not vote for candidate who does not now speak out in the strongest possible terms against the disgraceful treatment of Senator Clinton by himself, his campaign staff, some of his supporters, the D.N.C. elite, and the media throughout this political season and right up until today. A mouthed apology will not do. I will accept nothing less than actions that convince me that any given candidate can be a proper Party leader, let alone leader of the United States of America.

Without serious, even drastic, actions by the presumptive - but not yet actual, let me remind everybody - Democratic nominee and the current D.N.C. leadership, I will transcend a crooked nominating process and the shabby behavior of so many associated with it.

I will not vote for Senator McCain, because I do not agree with his specific policies and overall political outlook. But neither will I vote for a candidate just because he arrives at the general election with the label "Democrat" stamped on him.

Before I am forced to simply sit out this presidential election, I will transcend the machinations of the D.N.C., and the complicity of too many media figures to name, by continuing to support the one candidate who has conducted herself with ever increasing grace and integrity this political season: Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Senator Clinton herself has transcended so much. Without rancor and with tremendous intelligence she has resisted and continues to resist being chased out of the Democratic Party. She knows the Party needs to provide voters, at the convention and beyond, with candidates of her high caliber.

I know this too. Hence, my response to arrogance: transcendence.

5 Comments:

Anonymous GRL said...

The arrogant Bill Richardson is getting his...

I guess people are saying NO DEAL to Bill Richardson!

Meanwhile, all is not happy in Bill Richardson land of disenchantment…

“Bill Richardson’s Star is Falling with a BIG THUD (Not on VP Shortlist, State Legislators FED UP with Him)”
http://tinyurl.com/4mogb7

The big phony is finally getting it all back as his poll numbers wane…And I can’t say I’m not happy about it!!!

June 13, 2008 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger CognitiveDissonance said...

Wow! Preach it, sister, I'm with you 100%.

June 13, 2008 at 2:06 PM  
Anonymous Linda C said...

Bill Richardson totally misfired along with John Edwards. None of the new Obama supporters are bringing in the votes. They were brought on board because they were the plastic representation of their demographic. Bob Casey of PA also failed to deliver.

All of the plastic representatives to make a unity pony isn't going to happen. People are not going to rally around them or their plastic candidate.
Maybe by August the sky will part and common sense will shine. But the one thing about common sense is that it isn't common.
The DNC has tied its wagon so tightly to Obama there is no turning back for them. They put all of their eggs in the Obama basket. Down ticket dems where Obama doesn't have sway are running away. When a candidate wins majority delegates by winning only a few select counties in a state, there is going to be trouble in the general election.

The only way that Obama will win is because people don't want McCain more than they don't want Obama.
That is a hell of a way to run a presidential election.

June 13, 2008 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger Kelligesq said...

I wish Hillary would find strength for just one more act of courage and run as Independent for President. I can't agree after reading the following account of what Rangel and the DNC did to her, to vote for ANY downline dems, congress or senators.

://clintondems.com/2008/06/the-dnc-pressured-hillary-an-email-from-someone-who-watched-it-happen/”

I will write in Hillary for President on my ballot but
The part of the above article that made up my mind not to vote for the dem down line for congress and senators either is this:

[b]“the idea that Obama isn’t going to be able to win the nomination came up while {HRC was) talking to the DNC/supers and the response she (HRC) received was that Obama brought in a lot of new Democratic voters (and ultimately, a lot of new Democratic money) and thus, while the party might lose the election in the short term (the presidential election, that is), the long term would be good, as the party would have lots of new voters and money. The belief was that even though Obama might not be able to win the presidency, the fact that he had all these new voters” would help to ensure that the party won the congressional and senatorial seats in play in November. ” [/b]

WRONG

I will not only write in Hillary’s name for president, based upon the further information above, I am not voting for any of the down line dem congressman or senators either and I will encourage others to do the same.

The democratic party is imploding, (yeah the big Zero is another uniter just like Bush ) and I and many others will applaud as it does so. I and the women and men like me are through with the dem party. permanently. It’s time for a real third party for us and the millions like us if we can reach them.

If you post at other places on the net, take that paragraph and re-post it far and wide so that everybody can know what the dem party bosses are.

The corrupt democrats want to play with the people and the country at a critical time in our history - they deserve not just a spanking but a beating, and hopefully they will receive one.

With friends like Charley Rangel (who I used to think so much of) who made that final telephone call to push HRC out along with the 23 Super Delegates on the conference call, who needs enemies!

May I suggest that all who care to have HRC as President make a call to a few of those Super Delegates, maybe those in your state and let them know how YOU WILL NOT VOTE TO RE_ELECT THEM nor for anyone in the Dem party nor ever send them one dollar ever again. It would be wise of the Supers to change their vote back to HRC. and support a convention floor fight -

https://www.lobbydelegates.com/

Mad as hell and not going to take it anymore,

If we feel this way imagine how Hill must feel.

K.
Party Unity My Arse

June 13, 2008 at 3:12 PM  
Blogger democraticjack said...

I can only echo your sentiments, Heidi. You are so right and it is becoming increasingly clear from what I've been hearing, that the media, the DNC and the Obama camp are so full of themselves they dismiss us with a quasi-concerned nod only exacerbating the dissatisfaction with them, while still winking at each other. From out of the deep dark past comes some wisdom "Right on, sister, right on".

June 13, 2008 at 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home