Thursday, June 26, 2008

Money managers: Senator Obama featured in the news

Even as the stock market takes another tumble, Senator Obama's own campaign finance strategy seems to be showing signs of weakness. After embarrassingly reversing his pledge not to accept public financing - thereby turning off his small dollar donor base - Senator Obama finds himself dependent on large donors, especially since he has chosen to refuse government matching funds. This shoot-yourself-in-the-foot syndrome worries me when it afflicts somebody running to be President of the United States.

Tonight I attend a finance committee meeting as Senator Clinton's guest. What I expect to tell, if asked: that I had an extra successful day raising money to retire Senator Clinton's debt. What I expect to hear: pleas for donations to Senator Obama. Hmm....somehow I don't think this is what the D.N.C. was expecting when they tweaked the rules to produce Dr. Dean's and Speaker Pelosi's preferred presumptive nominee.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi!

In honor of your attendance at the meeting today,
I've added $20 to your tally. This is my statement that I will not capitulate; I will not vote for a candidate who has been carried through the process in this undemocratic fashion.

the poster formerly known as nycblue

June 26, 2008 at 6:21 PM  
Anonymous zemog13 said...

Just added my $50. Sorry it wasn't part of the total you could go to the committee meeting with. My partner and I will continue to help with whatever we can, week by week. In Nevada there are no write-ins allowed, so our only choice in November is between "None of These Candidates" and "John McCain".

June 27, 2008 at 12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home