Saturday, June 7, 2008

"Loyalty is not transferable"



Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton demonstrated all of her many gifts and talents at the National Building Museum today. Indeed she demonstrated, more powerfully than ever, that regardless of how this primary season actually concludes in Denver and regardless of who wins the general election, that she will be the most powerful and enduring force for true progressivism in this country for all the years that she works toward that goal - all the years available to her, as she made clear.

People can read the speech for themselves so I see no reason to rehash it here. But hearing it live left the following firmly in my mind:
  • Senator Clinton suspended her campaign; she did not withdraw or concede.
  • She did endorse Senator Obama, and made the best case anybody has made yet (including Senator Obama) for why it is critical that the White House go to a Democrat. Her endorsement was wholehearted, gracious, and reasoned: not enough for most people there to share her willingness to support Senator Obama, but certainly clear as a bell on the point that she in no way intends to be a spoiler should Senator Obama become the nominee at the convention.
  • Then, much more importantly, Senator Clinton made it clear that she will continue to fight unyieldingly for truly universal health care, for the chance for every single American to pursue his or her life, liberty, and happiness.
  • Finally, Senator Clinton addressed the historic nature of her accomplishment as a serious contender for her Party's nomination. She acknowledged the scourge of sexism that we all saw evidenced this campaign, but she pointed out that her candidacy succeeded in putting 18 million cracks in the highest, toughest glass ceiling in the land.
I then had a chance to attend a smaller reception hosted by the Clintons after this speech. I had the opportunity to really speak with Senator Clinton, to tell her that she has my enduring support for her next political choices. I told her that many would be pleased that she has not shut the door on the Democratic Party: by suspending her campaign, not ending it, she remains available should the Party decide to call upon her.

I listened in a small group as President Clinton - who beamed with pride at Senator Clinton's speech - said that he doubted this would be her final national political campaign.

And I took the opportunity to thank some of the more major politicos at the event for their steadfast loyalty to Senator Clinton: something that has been so ridiculously rare during the course of this campaign.

My favorite comment from one such figure: "Loyalty is not transferable." Precisely.

Many folks have sent me pragmatic questions about a number of topics. Others have sent messages about new plans for organizing and moving forward. Over the next few days, I will address these questions and messages as I can. But for now I want to convey to you the overwhelming serenity that the speech and the reception left me feeling. There is a new and genuine progressivism afoot: Hillary Rodham Clinton has been the catalyst and she will continue to nurture it with all her considerable might.

18 Comments:

Anonymous titan90 said...

"Loyalty is not transferable."

Beautiful and true.

Thanks for sharing this.

June 7, 2008 at 5:00 PM  
Anonymous Mirlo said...

This beacon shines all the way across the Atlantic and beyond. Thank you, all of you.

June 7, 2008 at 5:07 PM  
Blogger moon said...

Thank you for this, Heidi!
Amazing. Simply amazing.

June 7, 2008 at 5:13 PM  
Anonymous adamonis said...

Thank you Heidi Li, so much for posting this today.

June 7, 2008 at 5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi

Again, my thanks for your insight. it was a remarkable speech, and how amazing that you were there to witness a piece of American political history.

Minnow

June 7, 2008 at 5:32 PM  
Anonymous DWPforHILL said...

Thank you so much for writing this, HLF. It helped me deal with my emotions over this morning.

June 7, 2008 at 5:43 PM  
Blogger LauraInCali said...

I'm so thrilled you got to speak with Hillary. Thanks for telling her how a lot of us feel. I am at peace too. Again, Thanks Heidi you made my day.

June 7, 2008 at 6:06 PM  
Anonymous JP026 said...

Thank you for your view of Hillary's speech. I did not hear it but received an e-mail from the campaign with the full text of the speech. In it Hillary did say she endorsed Obama. I'm looking forward to your thoughts moving forward.

June 7, 2008 at 6:10 PM  
Anonymous mtc said...

Thanks for taking the time to post on what must have been a day full of mixed emotions. I guess I am slow but I am not ready to let go of the hope that Hillary will still be the nominee. If not, I will be ready to start work on Hillary '12.

June 7, 2008 at 6:14 PM  
Anonymous Rozanna said...

Thank you HLF for the update. I have to say that one of the most disconcerting things was to watch Washington insiders....who owe their careers to the Clinton's... to rip Hillary to shreds. George Stephanopolis (sic), Dick Morris and his horrendous comments, Dee Dee Myers and her husband (Vanity Fair article).

Not to mention the DNC, so many, many Clinton supporters ...Napolitano, Richardson, Reich, Harmon who turned their backs on the Clintons...and continued to slash and burn away.

I don't get it. Can one of you bloggers or HLF explain what that was about?

June 7, 2008 at 6:22 PM  
Anonymous Steve said...

The comment that this is not her last national political campaign is the best news I've heard all week.

I have never supported a candidate as much as I have Hillary Clinton, and I can't wait to have the chance to do so again.

June 7, 2008 at 6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you sharing your experience today. "Loyality is not transferable" - precisely my feelings.

If it is not Hillary in November, then I too will be waiting to support her in 2012.

June 7, 2008 at 7:29 PM  
Blogger Joey said...

Thank you for writing this report. Hillary earned my vote. McCain has convinced me with his proven record to fight for the good of the country he can be CIC. There is only one man left in the race that hasn't convince me that he deserves my vote.

Plan A: Hillary
Plan B: McCain

From now until August, I'm still committed to my plan A. Please let me know how we can take it forward.

After August till November, I will switch to my plan B should my plan A doesn't succeed.

June 7, 2008 at 7:49 PM  
Blogger purplefinn said...

Excellent post and summary of the major points of the speech. I too believe that Hillary's vision for our country, so well outlined in her campaign, will inspire commitment and action. I look forward to finding a way in which I can participate.

June 7, 2008 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger cellocat said...

Heidi, thanks for your wonderful post. It is good to hear that combination of appreciation for Hillary's grace and your positivity about moving forward.

If anyone wants to see my emailed response to Dean's message about the need for unity, here it is: http://nwcellocat.blogspot.com/.

June 7, 2008 at 11:49 PM  
Blogger CognitiveDissonance said...

Unfortunately, "Loyality is not transferable" seems to be a minority position in Washington. Watching all the back-stabbing has been one of the worst things about this campaign. It really made me sick, particularly the fact that it was done so overtly, as if they just had to rub her nose in it. I predict some of those people are going to be voted out of their positions by the time this is all over.

June 8, 2008 at 12:43 AM  
Anonymous ginaswo said...

thank you so much Heidi, I am so glad to hear you were there and were able to tell Hillary how we feel and that we are with her always as she continues to lead an amazing life of service for all of us :0)

June 8, 2008 at 1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ARE ANY BLOGGERS ON THIS SITE FORMER HILLARY RAPID RESPONDERS?

WE ARE LOOKING FOR YOU.

Go to: clintondems.com

Category: Diaries
Hillary Rapid Responders
Are any of you here?

June 9, 2008 at 8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home