Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I may be fed up, but I most certainly am not done

[Please remember Denver or Bust, and donate. We have a real chance of ending the primary season having raised 20,000 for Senator Clinton. THAT would send our message loud and clear. We do it by donating.]

As readers of this space may know, I have been and am even as I write this abroad on business. Yet I have been riding the same roller coaster that all who support Senator Clinton's candidacy have been riding as we went through the unacceptable outcome of the RCB meeting, the wonderful support Senator Clinton received in Puerto Rico, and now the tension of awaiting the results from Montana and South Dakota.

I have been - especially for me - remarkably even-keeled throughout this primary season. Late last night in London though I suddenly felt homesick, and then I felt an even worse reaction. The place for which I am homesick, the United States of America seems riddled with people who will not accept - and if they are journalists will not report - facts. It was bad enough when President G.W. Bush's administration announced that it didn't care about facts, they would make their own reality. (They have, and look how great that is.)

But now, too many people refuse to note the following facts.
  • Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton started the primary season far more qualified to address the problems facing our country than Senator Obama; she will end this primary season with that truth more evident than ever.
  • Senator Clinton is the only presidential candidate who can take the office for the Democratic Party this year. If she is not nominated, we get at least four and maybe more years of the party that has brought us an enormous deficit and thousands of deaths in a war that most Americans see as pointless.

I am teacher and a scholar. I cannot ignore facts. Neither I can I disregard my personal obligation to keep insisting that all of us pay attention to them.

When I focus on facts, it renews my energy. It makes me identify with those who founded our country and those who have worked far harder than ever I have have to make the United States of America an ever more perfect and just union. People ranging from George Washington to Susan B. Anthony to Tom Paine to Dolly Madison to Martin Luther King Jr. to Rosa Parks to Robert F. Kennedy to Barbara Mikulksky to William Brennan to Thurgood Marshall to Ruth Bader Ginsberg to Franklin Delano Roosevelt Jr. What a list. The more names I write the more I think of. Every person on that list had or has had to confront the frustrations of getting others to focus on the facts in order to bring people along on toward making the United States of America a reality, a just and prosperous reality.

Well, I'm a sticker. And I'm sticking with the facts about this election:

The most qualified candidate, who also has the best chance of actually winning the presidency is Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton. Got that?


2 Comments:

Blogger PuppyDogMom said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

What continues to amaze me is that with all the facts in front of them that clearly indicate Clinton is the best candidate, the party elite cannot see this and continue to support a candidate who cannot win in November. It just doesn't make sense.

June 3, 2008 at 6:48 AM  
Blogger Double Jointed Fingers said...

Well said, Heidi. I just hope Senator Clinton stays in until the convention. Obama is weaker every day. The farce tonight when he declares himself the nominee makes my stomach turn. 4 years of Obama will be akin to a 3rd term for Bush.

June 3, 2008 at 7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home