Saturday, June 21, 2008

A donation to RETIRE THE DEBT = an affirmation of human rights

When I began my efforts to persuade Senator Clinton's supporters to act on her behalf by retiring the debt from her primary campaign, I mentioned to friends that this cause went hand in glove with the ongoing struggle for women's equality and autonomy. For hundreds of years of Anglo-American history, women's property rights were nonexistent or almost totally subjugated to their fathers or their husbands. Women still receive systematically lower pay then men who perform the identical jobs.

So, each woman's financial autonomy and equality is a matter of concern for all those who believe in women's autonomy and equality. And because I agree with Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton's claim that women's rights are human rights, I believe that every person who believes in fundamental equality of human beings should take some responsibility for ensuring women's financial autonomy and equality.

Senator Clinton gained my vote because I believe she is the best qualified and most talented candidate to be our next President. My commitment to retiring her campaign debt arose for many reasons, but with this post I highlight it as part of a larger commitment to human rights.

A donation to RETIRE THE DEBT = An affirmation of human rights

1 Comments:

Anonymous Angela D. said...

Wow, I just found your blog today from another blog. I have my own fundraising code and so I contributed 36 dollars today to put me over 200 for the election cycle. I wanted to do that so I would be listed on the FEC report. Anyway, thank you so much for what you are doing. Thank you for being a professor who supported Senator Clinton because apparently all of the professors that I work with as a graduate student drank too much kool-aid over the Christmas break. So, thank you for what you do.

June 22, 2008 at 3:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home