Thursday, June 19, 2008

Copy of an inquiry to Mark Penn

In my previous post I said I wondered what amount Mark Penn and his firm might accept in exchange for an amicable mutual settlement of what lawyers call "hold harmless" agreements. In nonlegal terms, this just means that that the parties contract that in exchange for one (in this case Senator Clinton's campaign) paying an agreed upon amount to the other (in this case Mr. Penn's company) the parties agree not to seek more money or services from one another in relation to the matter being settled.

I like to act, not just wonder. So I have just sent the following inquiry to Mr. Penn via his company's New York City's office email:
Dear Mr. Penn,
I am a private citizen who volunteered on Senator Clinton's campaign. I have been working extremely hard to assist Senator Clinton in retiring her debt. In a call today Senator Clinton emphasized that she is not seeking donations to reimburse her for the money she lent her own campaign but she is seeking assistance in raising money to pay outstanding bills to vendors. I know your firm is among Senator Clinton's campaign's largest creditors, and may be the single largest creditor. On my own initiative I posted a suggestion on my blog, Heidi Li's Potpourri. I am a professor of tort law and contract law, so you will understand where I am coming from. I suggested that you let us know the amount you would accept in exchange for a mutual hold harmless agreement between you and your company and the Clinton campaign and Senator Clinton. I personally have set a target of raising $50,000 (all my donors are small dollar folks) toward whatever amount you think fair under the circumstances. It would help me, and your company too, if you could provide some guidance in this matter.

With respect,
(signature)

I will let readers of this blog know if and when I hear back from Mr. Penn.

Meanwhile, if we deduct Senator Clinton's loans from the campaign debt, and we assume that she owes just under 30 million dollars (the figure I've seen reported), our job is to raise $28 million. (Maybe less if Mr. Penn will accept less!)

Now this may sound daunting. But Senator Clinton's campaign raised over $225 million (225,000,000) dollars during the primary season (includes money for GE as well as primary), 10 million the day after Pennsylvania alone. So surely we can find another $28 million between now and the Convention at the end of August. There are 330 million people in America, as a wise man pointed out to me, and most of them have not donated 5 dollars to Senator Clinton's primary campaign. 181 million people voted for Senator Clinton. If each of them either donated or found somebody to donate $20 to her campaign, bye bye debt.

Let's Kiss that Debt Good-Bye!
RETIRE THE DEBT - DONATE NOW

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I donated to help with the debt reduction on Hillary's site. I also recommend that the campaign sell a tshirt from her contest as a fundraiser. I never did buy a tshirt so I know I would buy one--or have a shirt with a new design referencing the 18 M who voted for her.

I would also buy/donate for an autographed book of her biography, prints from the campaign trail, etc.

June 19, 2008 at 10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe Senator Clinton's supporters can come up with the money to retire her debt, but she needs to reach those supporters with phone calls, not just internet links. I donated yesterday and hope many will do the same.

June 19, 2008 at 11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant idea on your part Heidi.
And at 18 million voters, just 2 bucks a piece raises 36 mil.
All this needs is the proper organization.
Over on the HC Forum there has been some discussion on getting a
donations page up on Hillaryclinton.com which says money is to retire her debt and include a ticker to show progress.
Right now hc.com has got BO stuff all over it and it is no doubt
souring the enthusiasm of some supporters to donate. Perhaps you can help create such a donations page on hc.com.
Your letter to Penn shows real smarts.
Thanks for all you do.
-Adrienne

June 22, 2008 at 5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home