Friday, June 6, 2008

Am I glad I am not Howard Dean!


While the MSM yammers about the "difficult" position Senator Clinton is in (actually, she's not in a difficult position at all, but more about that later), the person on the actual hotseat is Dr. Howard Dean, Chair of the D.N.C. Having made a very uncomfortable bed for himself, Dr. Dean seems stuck lying in it, unable to do the job of Party Chair, even were he up to it.

The most pressing problem for Dr. Dean is that nobody wants to pay for the Democratic National Convention. While raising funds for its Convention is generally more of a chore for the D.N.C. than the R.N.C., the D.N.C.'s actions this year certainly would give me pause before funding their convention, or anything else to do with the organization. The last place I want to spend my hard-earned dollars is on an organization that treated one of its most important candidates, and her supporters, with truly shameful disregard; an organization that seems incapable of understanding the meaning of count every vote cast; an organization that seems to lack both common sense and a commitment to legitimate democratic procedures.

But there is a more fundamental reason I am glad I am not Howard Dean. Dr. Dean gained the Party Chairmanship by touting the so-called 50 state strategy. Yet if he were truly interested in all 50 states, he would be taking a strong stance in favor of full recognition of the Michigan and Florida voters and precisely how they actually voted. Apparently, Dr. Dean, one of the originators of the 50 state strategy is now acting on a 48 state strategy.

For Dr. Dean, this is quite a breathtaking act of hypocrisy. I abhor hypocrisy. So apart from not wanting to have the job of digging the Democratic Party out of the hole it is ever busier digging itself into, I am glad I am not Howard Dean because were I him, I would have to accept that I have been acting hypocritically and do the even harder work of digging myself out the hole of having behaved this way.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous adamonis said...

They say when you are in a hole, stop digging. As an educated man, Dr. Dean needs to stop digging. Heidi Li, sign him up for one of your classes.

June 6, 2008 at 8:01 AM  
Anonymous Pam said...

I think Donna B. needs a shovel also, he couldn't have done it w/o her help.

June 6, 2008 at 8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great comments. I left a comment at the DNC website along the same lines - I saw Dean sneak out of the Rules Committee meeting last Saturday and jump in a vehicle which was waiting at the rear entrance so he could avoid the loyal democrats who were outside the front entrance. I told him what a way to treat some of the country's most enthusiastic democrats. My daughter was in the meeting in the afternoon and said Donna Brazile kept on rolling her eyes and yawning as MI was making it's case to seat all of their delegates as they were voted on.

June 6, 2008 at 9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The DNC will be in full defcon mode by the middle of July. Paying for the convention may seem paramount, but it is only the begining of thier troubles.

When will the "blame game" begin?

June 6, 2008 at 9:23 AM  
Blogger purplefinn said...

A house divided....

June 6, 2008 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger LVDEM4HILL said...

You always write so elegantly exactly what is in my head. I have no desire to help fund a "sham" convention that will coronate a "sham" nominee that they know will not win in November and that they do not care about that. They never stood up for the more qualified candidate and for that I will never support them. And until the day that Dean, Brazille, and the rest of the jerks in charge of the DNC are removed from their positions I will become and INDY and will not vote for their candidates in November.

June 6, 2008 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger Double Jointed Fingers said...

Well, my Mama taught me to treat others as I would like them to treat me - fairly.

Seems no one taught Dean and Brazile that lesson. And, for that, they will pay dearly.

June 6, 2008 at 12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home