Sunday, May 25, 2008

President Carter is really on my nerves

It really is quite remarkable for Jimmy Carter, a man who could not win reelection to the presidency precisely because he had no idea how to campaign or connect with voters, to now be out preaching about what the superdelegates will do and what voters should do.

Rather than rely on my own views of President Carter's leadership and judgment, let me share the thoughts of the late Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr., written during President Carter's run for office and during his time in office. Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. was nothing if not a major progressive. Check out his opinions of President Carter. (All quotation are from Journals: 1952-2000.)

July 13, 1976

"It is perplexing that Carter, with all his talk about party unity, has made such negligible efforts to bring in [Ted] Kennedy, Udall, McGovern, and Humphrey."

October 27, 1976

[On trying to decide whether to vote for Carter in the race against Ford]

"I vacillate every day and probably will not make up my mind final until I have the moment of truth with the voting machine. Today, I do not feel I can possibly vote for Carter. [After reading in the NYT that Carter reads the book of Genesis literally]: I do not like to to be influenced by a candidate's religion but a fundamentalist in the White House seems a little too much."

November 1, 1976

"Election eve. We went across the street to watch the last respective national half hours for Carter and Ford. It was hard to decide which was more repulsive. I have resolved reluctantly to vote for Carter.... I do so with great misgivings. Carter may turn out to be a sensational President. He may also turn out to be another weirdo, as incapable as Johnson and Nixon of listening to dissent or accepting the legitimacy of opposition.

....

I feel that [Carter's] election will mean the exclusion of the tendency in the Democratic party with which I have worked for nearly thirty years--stemming from FDR and Truman and going through Stevenson, JFK, RFK, McGovern. That style of politics---open, curious, ironic, civilized, questioning--is, or appears to be, quite alien to the closed, sanctimonious, rancorous, punitive politics of Carter."

November 3, 1976

"The deed has been done. In the end I could not bring myself to vote for a man who believes that Adam and Eve once existed and that Eve was literally made out of Adam's rib (as he explained in a letter to the Atlanta Constitution and believes he has seen flying saucers. So I left the presidential space blank." (emphasis added).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

""The deed has been done. In the end I could not bring myself to vote for a man who believes that Adam and Eve once existed and that Eve was literally made out of Adam's rib"

In a recent survery, 48% of American adults believe that "god" put man, in his present form, on Earth <10k years ago. Hillary is the only candidate who talks about the Republican/theocrat war on science. This battle is happening in school boards across the country and the results are mixed.

Steve

May 26, 2008 at 12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home