Saturday, May 17, 2008

Decision Made: I am staying in Oregon because I believe in the franchise!

[updated]

I just sat down with my conscience and had a chat (my conscience and I are on very friendly terms, so we chat - different than NARAL, for example). I thought about Robert F. Kennedy, who as Attorney General did a great deal for voter protection; about Senator Clinton and President Clinton who worked registering voters in Texas early in their adulthoods; about the Voting Rights Act of 1965; about patriotism in its true meaning.

I will sort out the logistics. And I will stay here to be part of the legal team dedicated to protecting the integrity of the Oregon primary process.

A special thank you to those who sent words of encouragement.

[Original post starts here:]

Just in from a very hot morning of doing visibility in Portland, in the area near Chinatown and the river. Stopped at campaign headquarters first thing, and it was jammed with a clutch of out-of-state volunteers, which is of course good, but seemed a little overwhelming for the volunteers staffing the office.

After my visibility stint, I headed back to headquarters and actually had a chance to speak with the person heading the office for the campaign. Apparently, there is a real need for lawyers to be in Oregon for voter protection efforts. I have been asked to consider a) staying in Oregon through Tuesday and b) heading to Bend (yes, Bend), Oregon where the campaign is thin on the ground for voter protection purposes.

Must weigh this decision....

Pro:
Voter protection: in this time when the D.N.C. itself seems to care so little for protecting the ballots cast by millions, how can I not be available to make sure that ballot boxes are handled correctly in Oregon?

Con:
Logistics: always the sticking point!

Meanwhile, note the priorities at Clinton h.q. in downtown Portland (smile) [first picture upper right]

And check out some fellow volunteers doing visibility in Portland this morning.

8 Comments:

Blogger white_paw said...

Stay -- PDX or Bend -- wither would be fantastic!

May 17, 2008 at 5:09 PM  
Anonymous berkeleyHillBiller said...

Please stay, and keep on eye on ballotting!!

But also, enjoy yourself!

I will send you upto 50 bucks for expenses!

May 17, 2008 at 5:43 PM  
Blogger Double Jointed Fingers said...

Heidi, stay if at all possible. As an attorney, you are in the perfect position to do a world of good if anything goes awry. And, if the present is anything like the past, it will. It is so very close in Oregon and every vote must count.

In fact, maybe this is the real reason you are in Oregon.

May 17, 2008 at 5:43 PM  
Blogger Heidi Li Feldman, J.D., Ph.D. said...

berkeleyHillBiller - how do I contact you?

May 17, 2008 at 6:03 PM  
Blogger The Backward Bride said...

Thank you. You are an inspiration to us all at TM and represent the values that should be cherished, nurtured and upheld in America.

May 17, 2008 at 7:27 PM  
Anonymous athyrio said...

You are admired for all you do to promote democracy...You and Hillary are my Hero's...BTW, havent been able to get TM to load all afternoon ....is there a problem?

May 17, 2008 at 7:42 PM  
Anonymous Jill L said...

Heidi... Please stay, if you can...your voice can make a difference!!!

May 17, 2008 at 8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be pressing the donation button for your site. I'm maxed on my primary contributions so I'm glad to be able to help this way.

May 18, 2008 at 1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home