Friday, May 16, 2008

Notes from the trail: Oregon!

Friday and Saturday are the last big days for voters in Oregon to mail in their ballots (all primary voting in Oregon is by mail or drop off, and voting began on the May 1, with all ballots due by May 20. The Clinton campaign wanted boots on the ground for these two big days for getting out the vote, so my boots carried me to a red-eye flight from Washington D.C. to Portland, Oregon, with layover in Las Vegas.

Quite exhausted when I hit the rental car counter, but what a pick-me-up after the following exchange. The man working there, 30ish, greeted me, asking me what brought me to Portland. I skipped a beat because Senator Obama's campaign has made it sound like there is not a Clinton supporter in the state. Plus, I was tired. But the entire point of this trip is visibility, so I replied that I had never seen Portland, wanted to go to the Rose Garden, and was using these as motivation to come and support my "preferred candidate." Pause. "Senator Clinton."

Next thing I know, the man's face lights up. As he checks me in he exclaims that his wife was totally for Senator Clinton even before Clinton announced she was running, they both always vote Democrat, but it took him a longer time to decide. He felt that given that the country is at such a dangerous moment (his phrase) he wanted to be sure he picked the person who "got it." Then, before I had time to utter my pitch, he added that he had already voted. Pause. For Senator Clinton!!

Meanwhile, I had learned that my hotel had an "inventory problem" - no rooms for me, arriving in the middle of the night - but they would find me a place to stay and comp the night. When I arrived, at 4:00 a.m. Pacific time, at the new room, they told me that, yes, this had been a problem for a number of hotels in town because of a quilting convention in town. This is when I realized that Portland is NOT Washington, D.C. In D.C. I would have been booted because of an association or lobbyist meeting, but here it is the quilters who bumped me for the night.

All I can say is Quilters for Clinton!

2 Comments:

Anonymous heatherindc said...

GO HEIDI GO!! GET THOSE QUILTERS TO VOTE FOR HRC!!!! LOOKING FORWAWRD TO YOUR REPORTS!

May 16, 2008 at 1:17 PM  
Blogger Kevin said...

I'm heading to Kentucky to see Bill Clinton today! Afterwards I'm heading to Louisville for 5 days to visit my sister and do some volunteering. I'll also be doing GOTV on Tuesday in Louisville. I even managed to get my sister and my two nieces who lives in Louisville to help out. My brother-in-law, just cut a $2,300 check to Hillary, to match my sisters. My mom is heading up on Monday to do her part. Three generations for Hillary, now that is a winning coalition.

May 16, 2008 at 1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home