Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Line in the sand: another friend's question answered

Question: If the reason you won't vote for a Democratic ticket headed by Senator Obama is out of a commitment to human rights, how will you feel if Senator McCain wins and continues the abysmal Republican record on all things human rights related?

Answer: Just fine, thank you very much.
This question is highly speculative at this point. It presupposes that the Democratic Party will end up nominating the weaker candidate for beating Senator McCain. The nominee can and should be Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, the candidate who can carry the states needed to put a responsible Democrat in the White House come January. However, the answer to the speculative question remains: just fine, thank you very much.

I must be able to look myself in the mirror every day. The one person I must be able to live with is myself. There are only so many compromises I can make before I have compromised myself away. I refuse to surrender my integrity.

This means that there are some things I simply will not do, some people with whom I will not associate, some organizations I cannot support. That does not mean I have to support distasteful alternatives. You will not find me voting for Senator McCain this fall.
Sometimes, though, one must draw a line in the sand. I will not act punitively (vote for a Republican in whom I do not believe just to punish the D.N.C., for example). But neither will I cringe and be bullied into supporting and voting for a candidate sponsored by a Party - both of whom, candidate and Party - who have put on an amazing display of misogyny, sexism, and contempt not only for Senator Clinton, not only for the men and women who prefer her, and not only for women generally. The D.N.C., the Democratic Party and - sadly - Senator Obama have all, to date, shown contempt for human rights, contempt for voters' rights, and contempt for the values of common decency that must underlie any political organization that I am willing and able to support.

If there is no honorable political party to support then it is time for a new political party. My job as citizen will be to channel my efforts toward that goal. Whether it means reclaiming the Democratic Party or creating a meaningful alternative, I am ready, willing, and able to do that.

I am not willing to be a patsy for a political party that seems unable to conduct itself prudently let alone honorably.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous athyrio said...

that expresses my feelings exactly and thanks......

May 27, 2008 at 9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't vote for McCain or Obama either. That is an easy decision for me because Obama will loose my state by such a wide margin that my non-vote is meaningless. In a hypothetical situation where my vote might have meaning, what would I do? I am still working on that.

Steve

May 27, 2008 at 10:52 PM  
Anonymous athyrio said...

just had a phone call from someone in Mass. that said you were her professor (she is supporting Hillary) and she told me you have a blog and I said OMG I go to her blog lol....Hope you are the same one...She said you did a piece once in your blog on her and her mom....anyway, was fun to talk to her as she drums up more support for Hillary.....

May 27, 2008 at 10:58 PM  
Anonymous berkeleyHillBiller said...

Hi,

You are on fire!!

The last few posts of yours have been absolute GEMS!

They are full of great lines

"Just fine thankyou!"

.."one can not take back contempt"

..."transcendence not just transformation,"

It is just fabulous to read you these days!

May 28, 2008 at 12:09 PM  
Blogger meileen said...

You do great work. Thanks for all of your efforts.

If Hillary is not the Democratic nominee, my solution is to write her in. Just imagine if she received millions of write in votes; party elders will be kicking themselves for their lack of respect to this better presidential candidate.

May 28, 2008 at 6:21 PM  
Anonymous pfsh said...

Meileen and others contemplating a write-in strategy...I recommend that you check with your local/state Board of Elections...it varies by locale, but a write in for HRC may be counted for BkO. Is that what we want? I think not now, not ever.

May 29, 2008 at 12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home