Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A friend has asked me to face reality: ok, here's some reality

The reality that concerns my friend is the way various people claim or seem to be consolidating around Senator Obama as the nominee before the Democratic National convention in August.

I have absolutely no problem facing reality. I do have a problem with self-fulfilling prophecies and with incomplete report of reality. Superdelegates can say whatever they like, but since they cannot in any official way bind themselves to a candidate prior to casting their ballot AT THE CONVENTION, Senator Obama can "bank" all the superdelegates he likes, and then they can all withdraw their deposit.

Senator Clinton may choose to pull out of the race before Denver. That is her prerogative. But I have not read anything credible that suggests that this is part of her plans.

Believe me, I have lived for a long time with the "better candidate" losing - whether it be presidential elections or primary races. I will certainly manage. The country may or may not do so well.

As for worrying about what could have been done differently: unless it is a way of thinking about how to succeed now, it does not help deal with present reality.

Under no circumstances will I be casting a ballot for Barak Obama this election if he heads the ticket for the nomination (with just one caveat: although I doubt she wants it or would take it, I might consider voting for Senator Obama with Senator Clinton on ticket as v.p., but I really don't think reality will come to that option!).

Here's some reality that the Democratic Party officials and the superdelegates should consider. I have voted for their candidates even when they were not my first choice among Democrats. But something transformative has occurred this time around.

And it is not the phenomenon, which I do applaud, that a person of color can attract a wide political base in the Democratic primaries.

Actually, I'm talking about transcendence not just transformation. As a human rights advocate I cannot support an organization that has disregarded women the way that the D.N.C. has. The Party did not and does not have to nominate Senator Hillary Clinton to have avoided showing their contempt for women. But this is one cold reality: one cannot take back contempt. It leaves a hard imprint.

Senator Clinton herself may even urge unity on behalf of the Democratic Party should Senator Obama become the nominee.

That does nothing to erase the imprint of contempt for women that the Party as an organization has displayed. And for me, as a matter of conscience, I cannot support a Party that displays contempt for human rights. No how, no way, not on any day.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

agreed!!

May 27, 2008 at 3:38 PM  
Blogger Double Jointed Fingers said...

Heidi, well said. We've learned many things along the way in this campaign that I wish we never had to learn. That said, we have to work to change the way women are perceived in our party.

And if it starts with the DNC, so be it. I cannot believe that one year ago, I was once of their staunchest supporters.

May 27, 2008 at 4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a sixty one year old woman and have voted Democrat all my adult life.

This year if Hillary is not nominated as our future President I am voting for John McCain.

Why, it is the way the DNC have treated our former First Lady, with contempt, just like the media has treated this gallant lady, throughout this campaign.

These caucuses that Obama won were a sham, and that is putting it mildly. It appears Hillary Clinton is gallantly trying to save this pathetic Democratic Party by not showing the evidence they have showing exactly how Obama stoled the caucuses. I doubt I will ever vote Democrat again.

May 28, 2008 at 3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home