Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A friend asked me my opinion of today's "news"

My reply (although it departs from a news story from yesterday):

Bill Clinton: "She is winning the general election today and he is not, according to all the evidence," Clinton said. "And I have never seen anything like it. I have never seen a candidate treated so disrespectfully just for running."

"Her only position was, 'Look, if I lose I'll be a good team player. We will all try to win, but let's let everybody vote, and count every vote,' " he said. (Emphasis added.)

And it is added because it is the reason that I simply will not support anybody other than Senator Clinton for the Democratic nomination. This has become, to my mind, a matter of human rights, a matter of basic decency, a matter of civility in the highest form of the word.

You want my comments on the news: except for small local papers and the very occasional exception from the large media outlets, there is no "news" in the sense of classic journalism anymore, and most certainly not with regard to the coverage of Senator Clinton. News has been replaced by "infotainment", a sneaky and dangerous substitute.

President Clinton nails it when he remarks upon the fact that Senator Clinton has been treated with unprecedented disrespect just for running. What gall. How despicable.

Human rights transcend all else, and no one cannot be consequentialist in these matters (that is how we end up with people who think it is ok to torture individuals to save other individuals - a questionable assumption at best, but even were it to hold, that would not justify the torture of any single individual).

As the D.N.C., Senator Obama, and most of the media have conducted themselves they have converted this election into a matter of human rights. I will not willingly be complicit in anything that tramples upon the right of a serious woman with millions of supporters to fight to lead this country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home