Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A disaster for NARAL

Imagine my shock, as I journey back to D.C. from West Virginia and stopped to rest, when I saw the following message from a staunch volunteer for Senator Clinton:
FYI.
[...]
Naral is endorsing Obama within the hour - please call Nancy Keenan at 202-973-3000 ASAP! To express your extreme disappointment and hope they will not make this move.

I phoned and made sure I spoke directly to Nancy Keenan's personal assistant. (If you call, make sure that is who you reach. Do not accept being routed to a recording that accepts "political messages." This is not a political message, it is a message about civil rights and public health.)

I then reported back to the person who sent me the original alert: here is her reply

I just spoke at length with Nancy Keenan's personal assistant. I told her that I along with millions of other women would never donate to NARAL again, that I regarded NARAL's endorsement of Senator Obama at this time as an astonishing abandonment not only of NARAL's stated mission but as a betrayal of all women. I noted that whatever the reasons
for this decision, it was a tragic one for NARAL, a move I predict will doom NARAL's future as an organization. Ms. Keenan's assistant asked for my number once I mentioned that I would be sharing my views publically via all means at my disposal. I urge other who are of like mind to phone to make it clear that while NARAL may think this endorsement is a one shot episode, it is not and NARAL will suffer tragic consequences.

In strength,

Heidi Li Feldman
Sent from my iPhone

Here is her reply:

Thank you, Heidi. I have heard from others who have called that they also noted that they are withdrawing their financial support and that NARAL will never again see another penny from them. It is truly shocking that NARAL would make this endorsement at this time. If NARAL was going to endorse anyone, it should have been the one who's actually worked for women's rights all her life, not the one who again and again voted "present" during "controversial" votes about reproductive rights.

Thanks to all for your calls!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I concur with abandoning NARAL as they abandoned Hillary. When I told my husband of their endorsement, he responded: "That's another one to cross off our list."

May 15, 2008 at 1:39 AM  
Anonymous Laura English said...

Heidi you are my hero! You're support for womens rights and HRC truly inspire me. I will call NARAL asap.

May 15, 2008 at 3:37 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

There are also many men, like myself, who will never donate to NARAL again. I am stunned about todays developments. My mother called me and she is one angry 74 year old woman.

Thanks for all you do Heidi.

May 15, 2008 at 6:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am shocked to hear of that endorsement. My wife and I will never again give another penny to this organization. Hillary Clinton is an inspiration in all of our lives for all she has done for women, men and most of all children...as well as all she has done for the good of the United States of America and humanity around the world. Hillary is a prime example of the goals and aspirations our children should follow, and I think she is a perfect motherly figure for all of us. God Bless Hillary and her family and we help them continue this all important fight. Shame on NARAL.

May 15, 2008 at 11:06 AM  
Anonymous dave said...

I agree with Kevin. I let NARAL know they've lost my support and took my name off of their mailing list...

May 15, 2008 at 7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home