Sunday, April 20, 2008

Notes from Lancaster - 2nd day, Part I - meeting Scooter's owner

Today I headed out early, stopped at Lancaster headquarters, picked up a map route and hit the streets to canvass for Senator Clinton. Canvassing can be thankless: lots of doors unanswered, much walking in not the most comfortable weather (muggy here today). But the highlight of my gig came after I stepped onto the porch of somebody's house and a dog appeared behind the screen door barking like crazy.

Dogs, not my favorite. Barking dogs, definitely not a favorite. Strange barking dogs...well, you get the point. Canvassing takes persistence, though, so I awaited the barking dog's owner. She came to the door and I shouted over the din that I was canvassing for Senator Clinton and wanted to know if she planned to vote for Hillary on Tuesday. The woman tried repeatedly to get the dog to calm down while simultaneously telling me that she was a Clinton supporter. She seemed worried that the dog was inconveniencing me, like she was giving permission to move along. I said that I would be happy to provide her with more information about Senator Clinton, to share with her friends. She stepped onto the porch, leaving dog to continue to bark from inside.

We had one terrific conversation. Scooter (said dog) even quite barking. This woman was a salt-of-the-earth, commensensical supporter of Senator Clinton. The first thing she said to me was that Senator Clinton is really the only candidate who cares about the middle class. Then she told me how much she approves of Senator Clinton's proposals for education (e.g. ditching "leave no child behind"). By this time, I was telling her that she should be out canvassing.

We continued to chat for a few more minutes. The woman told me that she enjoys teasing her sister and brother-in-law, McCain supporters, about Senator Clinton beating him in the general election. I responded that I certainly thought the Senator capable of that, and of course, gaining the nomination. I pointed out the strong support for Senator Clinton in Puerto Rico, with its 26 delegates. A smile came over the woman's face. Then she said, "I had no idea. Nobody talks about that." My reply, "Well, not only was this conversation fun, but now you have something else to tell people about how Senator Clinton can win the nomination, as well as the reasons she should." We shook hand shortly thereafter.

And I realized why I had trekked all through a neighborhood northeast of downtown Lancaster, faced the barking dog, knocked on many doors, and spoke with many people: I had put at least one person in a better position to convince her friends and neighbors that their vote for Senator Clinton would have tangible meaning with consequences beyond Pennsylvania.

I am pretty tired from the day, so it was great to wrap up canvassing and discover this. And this.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the little things that make volunteering for Hillary worthwhile. Calling for Hillary today I found a lot of enthusiastic supporters and had some good talks with undecided voters. Thanks for all you do for Hillary.

April 20, 2008 at 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home