Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Elizabeth Edwards: A Class Act

Yesterday, Elizabeth Edwards displayed personal courtesy toward me. I am sponsoring a table at a Clinton fundraiser and I have extended invitations to several political figures to attend as my guest, among them, Mrs. Edwards. I do not know Mrs Edwards personally. But I wanted to at least extend the invitation, because I admire her (more about that below). Yesterday, I received an incredibly gracious reply from a member of Mrs. Edwards' staff.

Dear Heidi,

I hope you're well this Monday afternoon. I'm writing in follow-up to your recent invite to Elizabeth Edwards ... for your May 7th event in DC. Thank you for your outreach and for thinking of Elizabeth for this event. Unfortunately, Elizabeth will be in NYC that day and won't be able to join you. Wishing you all the best, and hopes for a successful event.

If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks, Matthew [a member of Mrs. Edwards' staff]


So far none of the other political folks I have invited have rsvp'd, although I have approached them all the same way I did Mrs Edwards, via their official means of contact. Maybe I will hear from them, maybe I won't. But Mrs. Edwards' prompt reply demonstrates not only common courtesy, but real graciousness.

Before this response to my invitation arrived, I already admired the work Mrs. Edwards has been doing to promote a new perspective on living with cancer (she personifies the need for more research into curing breast cancer). I have also admired the way Elizabeth Edwards has used her political standing to discuss the health care plans proposed by the various presidential candidates still in the contest. While preferring not to endorse either Senator Clinton or Senator Obama, Mrs. Edwards has publicly explained why she supports Senator Clinton's health care plan and pointed out the weaknesses in both Senator Obama's and Senator McCain's. More on that here and here.

Now I not only admire Mrs. Edwards, I appreciate her. I took the trouble to invite her to a major event, she took the trouble to make sure I received not only a reply, but a meaningful one.

So, in her honor, I am changing the match I have been running. Starting today, for every dollar donated to Senator Clinton's campaign via this link, I will donate the same amount to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation, up to $1500 total.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home