Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Democratic National Party, ours, warts and all

Many Hillary Rodham Clinton supporters - including me - are extremely frustrated with the Democratic National Party, Howard Dean, and Nancy Pelosi. Some folks - not including me - have started to feel that Hillary should run as an independent, either because the DNC leadership seems so ineffectual in performing basic party functions or because they fear that the current fight between two Democrats will end up making ANY Democrat too unable to beat John McCain.

There are several problems with these lines of thought, although I can see how people start down them. First, no independent can possibly defeat a Republican candidate, and particularly one as skillful as John McCain as positioning himself as simultaneously a "maverick" and someone who intends to carry on Bush policies on Iraq and in other matters. It will take an establish political party - that is, the Democratic National Party - to provide the resources and infrastructure to beat John McCain.

Moreover, it strikes me Hillary Rodham Clinton, who has been a proud Democrat for her entire adult life, would not step away from the DNC, even if the DNC has not stood by her. After all, Senator Clinton knows more than a little about loyalty and staying power even when those virtues are put to the test. She is also a capable politician who understands that once she becomes the nominee, the DNC will close ranks around her.

So I would urge my fellow Clinton supporters to write to Howard Dean and to Nancy Pelosi, without venom, but certainly with passion, and explain what you think our preferred candidate needs and deserves from the national party at this point. We should educate the DNC, not reject it.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The idea of Hillary Clinton running as an independent arose from her supporters' frustration with the partiality shown to Obama by the DNC. Initially, many Clinton supporters were asserting that they would write in Clinton's name, rather than vote for Obama (or McCain). This sentiment has grown into a desire to formalize the write-in process, taking it from an individual protest, to a structured effort to combine such votes.

Clearly, Clinton cannot win as an independent; and, she would lose more by trying than she would gain. I have written to Dean and Pelosi about my concerns, but I can't help feeling that my words have fallen on deaf ears.

March 17, 2008 at 5:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I have had enough.
I have been a lifelong and loyal Democrat since I was able to cast my first vote in 1976 for Jimmy Carter. I have contributed my support to this party financially as well for many years. I have, on a number of occassions, way too many occassions as a matter of fact, held my nose and pulled the lever for my party's candidate as the alternative was unthinkable to me. I am about to turn 50 and for the first time in my adult life I am NOT proud to be a member of the democratic party.

I owe no loyalty to a party that has consistantly shown no loyalty to its own members, that has no trouble disenfranchising millions of it's voters, no hesitation in throwing it's own respected and pioneering leaders under a bus.
No, I will actively support Senator Clinton and campaign for her but if FL and MI are not given the chance to be seated (and I will not accept a 50/50 obama favored spit) and if dean and pelosi continue to affirmatively endorse obama because of their twisted, vindictive revenge driven motives, causing Senator Clinton to lose the nomination, I will be voting for John McCain in November.

March 17, 2008 at 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home